Bed and Breakfast Photography Industry
Face it, first impressions are everything! Rich and compelling photography will stop your guests in their tracks. If your guest is not enticed to read on, you have lost them to the competitor with the more appealing images of their Inn.
As you are aware, we live in an age where people want instant access to information and bed and breakfast are no exception. When a guest begins their search, they may know the area they want, but that is only beginning of the many decisions they will have to make! An internet search brings a guest to your home page, but what impact will your website have? If it does not have warm, inviting images popping off the page, then not much!
MidAtlantic Photographic is fully aware of the importance of first class imagery. The investment you make in us needs to return dividends that help you reap the rewards of first class advertising and branding. Let us tell you more of our story!
Professional Photography may not be cheap, but neither is the image you want to create! At the same time, we realize you have a budget, and therefore, we provide a variety of options. You will receive numerous artistic images, giving you maximum flexibility to use different photographs on your website, brochures, blogs, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and media campaigns. All shoots feature Robin Sommer and Bill Rettberg, a husband and wife team of full time professional photographers with a combined experience level of 69 years!
~”There may be many great photographers out there but I must say that Bill and Robin were like working with old friends. They avoided interfering with the operation of the business and offered many suggestions for telling the story we as innkeepers sometimes never see.” ~Nancy Noll, The Queen, A Victorian B&B
Photography of your inn will often include the following types of photography. After a deep dive into your ideas for your website and social media, we will provide a proposal outlining the amount of time needed for your photo shoot, suggestions on preparation for your shoot and information on how to use the visual assets we have created.
Areas typically included in Bed And Breakfast photography:
Guest Room Photography
We will photograph the angles that best represent the feel of your room, however, size and shape of the room will determine the number of images we can create. You may have suites, single rooms or cottages. We will discuss how many angles and images you may receive prior to your photo shoot
Common Areas and Exteriors
Areas enjoyed by your guests may be indoors or on your property. Spaces provided for your guests’ comfort and relaxation should be featured as amenities to their experience.
We create images of featured dishes, close ups of table settings with food in place, guests enjoying your delicious food, etc. using lighting and angles most pleasing for presentation of food. Food photography is a specialized type of photography and we are happy to show you what we can do!
Bill Rettberg is a certified and experienced Drone pilot. We include still aerial photography if not prevented from doing so by airspace restrictions or other safety restrictions. Aerial images offer just anther view of your property for potential guests to consider.
Candid Photography of guests/models
Potential guests can picture themselves enjoying your hospitality more easily if they see candid images of someone sipping a chilled glass of wine on your porch! If this is part of your photo shoot, we highly recommend using models/willing guests for this type of photography. Everyone featured in candid photos will be required to sign a model release. We can supply a model release for your use.
Event areas can be included in your photo shoot. Consider how you might set up your space (i.e., an entire room or just samples “areas”)
Videography or Video Interviews
In addition to still photography, we are also experienced videographers. We employ lighting for filming and audio for your best presentation. Video interviews or testimonials can be a powerful marketing tool. Production of an infomercial or customer testimonial can boost your website’s SEO and can be a useful social media tool.
Post Production Cost
Normal Post production work includes all retouching necessary to enhance each image and may include removal of wires, distracting shadows, color corrections and delivery of digital files to you and/or your webmaster. Any unusual or labor intensive retouching will be discussed prior to the work and may incur an additional charge.
Terms and Delivery of Photography
You will receive finished high resolution images, with all rights for reproduction released to you. We can transfer your images via FTP or ship a thumb drive containing your photo shoot to you.
Travel cost, if applicable, will be assessed at the time of quote. Overnight accommodations at the inn or for accommodations in the area are required if your property is more than 2 hours from Bel Air, Maryland. Travel may include airfare and expenses depending on the location of your inn.
Final payment is due before your portfolio is delivered.
Rights to Reproduction, License and Usage and Third Party Usage:
Data is embedded in each image conveying all Rights to Reproduction to you and your assigns for use of your digital files electronically and in print for any purpose you determine. You may use your images in perpetuity unless otherwise specified. By embedding this information in each image, you should never have to contact us before sending your images to a printer or webmaster. You own all rights to reproduction to your library of images.
Third Party Usage is a term often heard in association with intellectual property such as, photography. A third party would be someone not associated with your inn, such as a supplier. For instance, a bakery supplier to you inn sees one of our images featuring their product. They wish to use the image in their marketing materials. You can not give that digital file to the baker without our permission. Generally we will happily grant permission.
Set Up and Prep
To make the most of our service, and to ensure that the investment you make in us reaps the benefits you expect, please read the following guidelines and suggestions.
- Make guests aware that photography is being done on the premises or schedule your photo shoot day without guests on site.
- Schedule your shoot for the slowest day of the week, if possible. If you want to feature outdoor scenes, think about the time of year or day that your Inn shows best.
- Make sure the rooms are clean and feature any amenities that will enhance the images.
- Please be sure bedspreads, pillow cases, table clothes, etc. are pressed and wrinkle free. We can not take time to iron wrinkled items.
- Lighting conditions may necessitate that the photography be done at certain times of the day.
- Allow about one hour per room for the photography. Generally we create as many images as needed to show all of the features of the room.
- If heavy objects require moving, we would ask that a member of your staff assist.
- You or a member of your staff should be available during the shoot in case we have questions, or need permission to move items.
- Props are great to enhance the viewing experience. Think about what makes your brand unique, and feature it throughout the Inn.
- Additional time may be needed if rooms are occupied or unavailable during our shoot. For exterior shooting, additional time may be needed if weather conditions are unacceptable.
- Food photography would be created prior to guest seating, so please factor this into your morning plan. Any Signature dishes should be featured and should be presented as is typical.
- You may consider using models in certain shots. We will work with you and your models to stage and pose, as well as, obtain all necessary model releases. A Sample Model Release by PPA can be downloaded here.
Please contact us to discuss your ideas for photography of your inn. We would be happy to have a conversation!